Pages

Monday 2 September 2019

Summer's end...

♥♥♥♥
  ♥   
I walked around the garden on the 1st September in the late evening light...
There was definitely 'Change' in the air...cool, crisper feel..The dappled orange glow of the Sunlight through the Apple tree's...and the garden on the turn to Autumnal changes.
I often think of September like a New year...A real beginning of change and that followed with the start of a new academic year...The blackberries seemed to come so early this year and I was already picking apples at the beginning of August.  My tomatoes are yet to ripen...Seem to take an age!. Does anyone know if you can take them off and let them sit in a sunny window to turn red and ripe?.


...I'm forever picking apples this late Summer

♥♥♥♥
I decided to make pies, crumbles and one day I made a strudel/tart with the left over Apples and blackberries...it was delicious! ;)

I think I might have to give a few bags of apples away as we wont eat all of them...

♥♥♥♥
We went back to the Duchy of Cornwall nursery one Weekend in August... Lovely cup of Cornish Tea followed by a wonderful walk around the greenhouses and Bumblebee Garden with glorious views to their Shepherds huts...The Sweetpea, Lavender and Sunflowers were so beautiful and full of bees and butterflies...It only opened a few months back and is already established like it had been there years...Obviously attracting bees, butterflies, birds and lots of other wildlife habitats. Its really worth a visit.
They have a small apple orchard as you drive in...We had a look at all the varieties of apples mainly to see if we could spot something similar to our old Apple trees.
We also had an early evening walk along the Estuary towards the South hams, Devon. Aveton Gifford.
Such a peaceful place...and it was low tide so you could watch the wading birds looking for shell fish.
Reminds me of my East coastal upbringing on an Island...salty marshes, muddy estuaries, sounds of the sailing boat masks clanging like bells in the breeze...picking up feathers from the tide lines...
Also a drive to Avon Mill nursery and a look around the garden shop, gifts and Gallery...And a wonder a long the river bank there too...
♥♥♥♥
I had a lovely day in my little Market town a few week back when the rain fell heavy and my little Market town became quite quiet...I found a lovely book that I used to own but was a hard back and this was a paper back with a lovely front cover. Cider with Rosie ...also a Kirstie Allsopp Christmas makes book, candles, a small wicker pot and a pair of red decorative clogs...
(flags flying in Lostwithiel , Cornwall..along the river Fowey...)

♥♥♥♥
When the Sunshine came out so did the Butterflies... Someone kindly told me on my Instagram feed that the smaller butterfly is a Small Copper Butterfly...the other a  Small Tortoiseshell...But too quick for my camera I spotted Common Blue, Large White, Red Admiral, Peacock and Speckled Wood. The grass hoppers and crickets make quite a noise on the lawn where the Apple tree's are...We had left it 'WILD' up there most of this Summer for the wildlife...But we've had to strim and mow to reduce it getting too out of hand. But still leaving patches for wild life havens. Also I've left the rambling blackberries too as they are producing so much fruit.
Beautiful Dartmoor ponies...Under the trees in the dappled light...
♥♥
Do any of you follow YouTube Channels?...I'm really enjoying 'Lavender and Leeks' (Allotment tales from the purple potting shed)...also re-watching the' Edible Garden' BBC series on there with Alys Fowler.
filling my notebook with ideas for a more productive edible garden next year!....

♥♥♥♥♥♥
'NEW' Autumnal Art work... It would make a lovely gift for someone's Autumnal birthday or a child's bedroom and even a great treat instead of a Christmas card...(Link to my shop in left hand sidebar)...Lots of New things in my etsy shop...

♥♥♥♥
A Lovely Last Summer's Day trip before the end of the Summer Holiday to our beloved Kingsands and Cawsands...This beautiful Cornish village holds such special memories in my heart. 
Its a place I came a lot when I was bringing my daughter up on my own, it was our little place that we used to get the ferry to from the city of Plymouth...it was our little 'happy' escape from all the worries and anxiety that filled my head at the time...I always feel better after a trip to the sea!.
We paddled our toes and had a lovely walk along the rocky paths...I love looking at the sweet Cornish cottages and beach combing...I found some lovely pieces of blue pottery. Its so much nicer to have Stevie now to share it with...He loves it too.
It was blissfully hot and we layed on the grass on the hill above the sea watching the boats sail passed.
♥♥♥♥
Sophia starts her 2nd year at Secondary School tomorrow...She's rather excited about getting back and seeing her friends. We will all be getting back into routines. I'd better remember to set my alarm a lot earlier!

x    K a z z y   x


19 comments:

  1. Lovely post.I can't believe Sophia is starting her second year in high school.Where does the time go?I would love to know more about Stevie .So good you are not on your own any more.Tough times in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your comments, yes she sure is growing up fast!! i do not know where the time has gone. Awww stevie is the best i could wish for, but i like to keep certain things a little private... i have to admit it wasnt all tough going when i was a single mother, we had some really great times and proud i did it ;)

      Delete
  2. Stunning photos and a lovely post to read! We've had so many beautiful butterflies that we didn't really mind that they devastated our savoy cabbages. I love summer fruits baked in a pie. Your artwork is beautiful. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your comments, ooops! not too many holes i hope!. oh' yes i do love apple with pies and crumbles and strudels, good job really as we've had buckets full hehe ;)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos Kazzy! You can definitely ripen tomatoes on a sunny windowsill, I’ve done it many times. I enjoyed watching Alys Fowler too, I also loved reading her book about sailing the canals. Happy September to you!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you jess! oh that is good to know ive added the to my sunniest of sunny windows hehe! ;)

      Delete
    2. p.s i havent read that book but i'd seen it advertised on instagram through someone elses feed...it looks a really life transforming read...x

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading this post and all the wonderful photos. You live is such a wonderland. I descend from the British Islands and would so love to see it but I think I've waited too long. So.. thanks for letting me see it from your eyes. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww so glad you can enjoy the u.k through my blog...like wise with yours ;)...with all the political uncertainty and worries in recent years i so love to escape in to the country or coast and try to see the good, positive things x

      Delete
  5. As usual, your photos are beautiful, Kazzy! Yes, you can ripen tomatoes on a windowsill. I've got a little bowl of mini plum tomatoes on mine at the moment. Some of mine have ripened on the plant, but the lower ones were struggling. Your Autumn artwork is lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your comments, yes ive added them to the window in a very sunny spot. i do find Autumn really inspires me to be creative all the wonderful colours through the seasons too ;)

      Delete
  6. So many beautiful pictures in this post Kazzy. Your artwork just keeps getting better, I love the autumnal theme.
    I'm going to try growing more food next year too. I know my mum used to make green tomato chutney...just an idea if you are left with some non-ripe ones :0)
    Jacquie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Jacquie...loved catching up on your blog also. You might have noticed ive become more colourful over recent years with my artwork.
      do you know i was thinking of chutneys i'll have to get my mother over to give me some help!. ;)

      Delete
  7. Summer looks like it has been quite bountiful for you and that strudel looks delicious. I also love that you have a special place that you went to with Sophia when she was small. It's beautiful. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your comments, yes so many apples, buckets full in fact with two old apple trees. yes the sea is always so helpful when you need to blow the cobwebs away and start a fresh...the sea views where you Susan are just stunning and those Sunsets blissful ;)

      Delete
  8. Your strudels look delicious! we had no apples from our tree this year. Lovely pictures of your Cornwall holiday. Hope Sophia has a great start to year 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you betty, cawsands/kingsands only about 30mins away if we take the little ferry...all going well on Sophia's new academic year...i'm making crumble tonight...so many apples! ;)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful photos that capture the feel of late summer perfectly xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Lucy, I do love Autumn, but thankfully its turned more summer like here in devon today!~ i was too hot in my cardigan ;)

      Delete